January 31, 2012
1 package lemon pie filling (the kind you cook)
2 cups chilled whipping cream or pareve dessert whip
¼ cup confectioner’s sugar
1 large sponge cake, cut into 1-inch squares
2 cups fresh blueberries
2 kiwis, peeled and sliced
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 can (10-oz) mandarin oranges, well drained and patted dry
½ cup toasted chopped pistachios for sprinkling
1. Prepare pie filling according to package directions, but use 1 egg instead of 2 yolks and omit the butter. Cool completely. (This can be prepared up to a day in advance. To prevent a skin from forming on the lemon mixture, place a piece of parchment paper directly on the surface and then refrigerate.)
2. Whip the cream or dessert whip in an electric mixer until it reaches the texture of sour cream. Add the confectioner’s sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
3. Remove half of the whipped cream from the bowl and set it aside for garnishing. Add the cooled lemon mixture to the remaining whipped cream in the mixing bowl and mix on low speed just until blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
4. Arrange half of the cake pieces in a 3-quart glass serving bowl. Add the blueberries and top with half of the lemon cream.
5. Repeat with the second layer of cake pieces and top with sliced kiwis and the remaining lemon cream. Top with sliced strawberries.
6. Spread the reserved whipped cream on top and arrange the mandarin oranges in an attractive design. Sprinkle with pistachios. Refrigerate overnight.
This recipe appeared in Kosher Inspired, Issue 2, Feb 2011. Kosher Inspired is a project of Mishpacha Magazine.