June 10, 2012
1 pound beets
2 pounds cipollini onions
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional as needed
2 teaspoons sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Peel the beets and cut into bite-size chunks (roughly 3⁄4-inch cubes).
3. Remove a slice from the top and bottom of each onion, peel, and cut into chunks approxi-mately the same size as the beet chunks.
4. Put the beets and onions in a roasting pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss with the olive oil. Whisk together the vinegar, salt, sugar, and several grinds of black pepper. Pour this mixture over the vegetables and toss again.
5. Roast, tossing occasionally, until the vegetables are completely tender and caramelizing in spots, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve hot or warm.
This recipe appears in Michael Natkin's Herbivoracious, A Flavor Revolution with 150 Vibrant and Original Vegetarian Recipes.