This show stopper of a dessert is prettily delicate and wickedly good. As a bonus, the component parts can all be made ahead and then you can assemble the desert just a couple of hours before your dinner party. Make the meringues and the caramel sauce a day ahead. You may need to rewarm the caramel sauce for a few seconds in the microwave to loosen it enough to spread it.
1/2 cup whole unskinned almonds, toasted and finely chopped
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup granulated sugar
Filling and Drizzle:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup oil based liquid whip topping
2 tbsp margarine
1. Preheat oven to 250F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace 14 x 3 –inch circles onto parchment paper. Turn paper over.
2. In stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk egg whites with salt until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in 2/3 of the almonds.
3. Transfer meringue to pastry bag fitted with plain tip. Pipe meringue onto outlined circles, in a single layer. Bake in centre of preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until crisp. Let cool on pan on rack. (Meringues can be made up to 24 hours in advance).
4. Filling and Drizzle: In saucepan, stir sugar with ¼ cup warm water over medium heat just until sugar is dissolved. Bring sugar to a boil; boil gently, brushing down sides of pan with brush dipped in cold water, for about 7 minutes or until mixture turns a deep amber colour. Averting face, immediately pour in 1/3 cup of the whip topping. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until any solidified caramel has melted. Stir in margarine. Let cool). Caramel can be covered with plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 24 hours. Rewarm in microwave for 20 to 30 seconds if it hardens).
5. Assembly: Whip remaining whip topping. Spread about 2 teaspoons of caramel on half of meringues. Spread with some whipping cream. Top with remaining meringues. Drizzle remaining caramel over meringue “sandwiches”. Dollop whipped cream over top and sprinkle with remaining almonds. (Dacquoise can be refrigerated for up to 2 hours).
This recipe is part of a delicious Chanukah Menu by Daphna Rabinovitch. Click here to see the rest!